Nintendo (NES) Emulators, ROMs, and Video Games
Please read the following before playing any ROM games on this site. It contains important copyright information.
1. Absolutely no ROM files are available for download on this site. This site does not link to downloads for any ROMs either. This site only provides patch files that work with ROMs.
2. Absolutely no commercial ROMs are available for play on this site. This site does not allow for play of any Super Mario Bros, Zelda, Metroid, Mega Man, Final Fantasy, or Castlevania games released for the Nintendo Entertainment System or any other video game console. This site only provides games released under the GNU/GPL license. These games were created by third party programmers who have given permission for their games to be freely dispersed on the internet and they do not stand to make any profit off these games. Some of the titles on this site were created to pay homage to gaming classics such as the Super Mario Bros. series, and use similar characters and concepts. As a result, they may look and play similar to the original title. However, we have done our best to assure that none of these games were ever released commercially for use on the Nintendo Entertainment System. We have also done our best to select games which stay true to the spirit of the original titles and characters and rejected games that contain profanity, nudity, other inappropriate content that might be considered damaging to the original properties.
3. Occasionally the developer has placed a "copyright" notice on the game's title screen, and in some instances they have even placed a "copyright, Nintendo". After extensive research, it is our belief that these games were never created by Nintendo, Capcom, or any other software company, and that these copyright notices are not valid and were simply placed to make the title appear to be an "authentic" console game.
4. The playable ROMs on this site are provided with the specific purpose of allowing users to enjoy retro-style games without allowing those users to actually download any files. The trading of videogames via the Internet is a grey area at best, in terms of legality, and is one of the reasons why this site does not allow the download of any sensitive files, but instead load these games dynamically and on the fly. The inner workings of this technology only allow the files to be loaded into temporary RAM of a computer while playing. When the browser is closed, the resource is no longer available. This situation is analogous to visiting a friend and playing NES games with them, which, naturally is legal under the DMCA.
5. This site does provide patches to be used with ROMs. However, DeROK.Net's content policy clearly states that these files are not to be used with ROMs downloaded off the internet. ROMs are perfectly legal if created by the owner of a game cartridge, and users only have permission to download the patch files if they intend to use them with self-made ROMs from their own video game collection. Thus, in order to deter users from downloading ROMs off the internet, we have provided patched games, which users can freely play. These games are not downloaded onto the user's hard drive, but are dynamically loaded into RAM using the technology described above. It is one of the missions of this site to prevent ROM trading on the Internet by removing the reason for such behavior to occur in the first place. If a user can simply play the game online, there is no reason for ROM trading. After large amounts of legal research, we have found that it breaks no laws, but acts as a legal deterrent against illegal ROM trading.
5. DeROK.Net itself is not the host of any playable ROMs or the software program which is used to play the ROMs. All games are linked from independent servers. As such, all legal inquiries must be directed to the administration of the aforementioned independent servers. Because of the general availability of the software, it appears that any legal action has been abandoned.
6. It is not the intent of DeROK.Net to make any profit from these games, nor does DeROK.Net make any profit from these games. Any advertisements on pages containing games are non-targeted, "run of site" ads which are used to cover the costs of hosting the various images and code found on all our pages. All playable ROMs and the software used to play the ROMs are hosted by third-party sites and thus do not fall under the hosting costs which the advertisements on DeROK.Net are intended to cover.
7. As a final summary - There are absolutely no ROM downloads or links to ROM downloads anywhere on this website. There are links to playable ROMs which are not downloadable. None of these playable ROMs are commercial ROMs. We only provide links to playable ROMs released under the GNU/GPL license. The purpose of this site is to provide a retro-style gaming experience for the enjoyment of our users. We offer this experience at no cost to our users and do not stand to make any profit from providing them.
If you have any further inquiries regarding the above information, feel free to contact the site's webmaster at
. We would be happy to discuss and further clarify any topic. Again, this site provides only links and does not host any game files. Any legal inquiries should be directed to the administration of the servers hosting the game content.